We'll Harvest this Field from Sunrise to Sunset!

Monday, November 2, 2015

Happiest Week Ever

Dear Family and Friends,

I hope y'all is doin well! I ain't gon' lie to ya, this here week's
been hard, but so darn good at the same time as the other'n...

Jkjk i don't talk like that, well, not yet at least. This week was great!

We had a crazy experience this last Tuesday on our way from Sheridan
Wyoming to Worland Wyoming. As we made our way over this snow
mountain, we watched as a truck headed the opposite direction began to
lose control of their truck. I had been taking pictures of the
mountain that I thought looked kinda cool when this happened but when
her drift started, I was so surprised, I forgot to take pictures till
after. So you have the before picture (notice the headlights are not
pointing the right direction) and the after picture (all that snow is
her drift). My companion, Elder Hatton, is a very good driver and
steered us to the side of the road before she was even very close. We
heard a crash shortly after she passed us and we all jumped out of the
truck to go help. As we approached the truck, the front end had rammed
into a tree and the tailgate was completely detached. I was nervous
until I saw the woman get out of the truck and
walk around her truck angrily, swearing like Wyoming cowboy. We were
just so glad she was alright. She had almost done a 360 when she slid
off the road and hit her tail end on a tree. This took a lot of her
momentum away, which is good because she smacked into a tree with her
front end next, which could've been a lot worse if she had been at
full speed. We weren't the only helpers, two other truck full of men
pulled over and we all got to work, changing he tire, figuring out how
to lower the tire, and backing her out of the snow drift. It was. Cool
to have so many helping hands to help this woman out. Even the snow
plow, pulled over to help. She was very grateful and thanked everyone
multiple times. I am so thankful for the Lord. I am quite certain that
he was watching over this woman. Everything worked out with her crash
and with all those that stopped to help. His is a testimony builder to
me, at God doesn't take away our trials, he makes them easier to bear.

Next story with pictures, we have had a huge bunk bed in our room ever
since I got here. It is only useful as a place to hang my clothes when
I'm too lazy take them to my closet in the other room. The bunk bed
was used about two transfers ago when my companion was one of three
sleeping in that room. Well, this last week, they decided that they
had need of the bunk bed elsewhere in the mission. I think clear
across the mission. The plan was that we would disassemble the bed and
load it into our truck. Now, i know how to load a truck, but things
get really difficult when you don't have any tie down straps. All we
needed to do was get the truck down to the church and then we could
run across the street and get tie down straps. Well, needless to say,
our first packing job was a little bit bizarre... But it did it's job!
We got it down to the church! Personally, I attribute the success of
this mission to the fact that we tied it all together with my jacket
and some jump rope. The Zone Leaders showed up and for some reason
felt the need to "reorganize" it, can't imagine why. They did alright,
but we definitely win in the creativity category.

This Halloween was SO GREAT! We started off the morning with a service
project. We were helping some people move, and I love doing that. I
got to disconnect someone's washer and dryer for them, I knew this
last summer job would come in handy:) (shoutout to the Converses! Love
you guys!) we had to leave a little early because... We had to FILL
THE FONT for a BAPTISM! How exciting is that??? Trent Engle was
baptized this Halloween! Teaching Trent has been such a pleasant
experience because he is so humble and perceptive to the spirit. Trent
just wants to be good and he'll do whatever it takes to follow Christ.
His main concern during our last lesson was how long he had to wait
till he could go through the temple:) he has good things in store.

Next we went too he town trunk or treat activity. The people who
handed out candy were different groups or stores around town. We were
obviously the Mormon group! It was so cool to be there and be part of
the town. There were so many great costumes and the kids were
adorable. It made me miss my nieces and nephews. Y'all better send me
some good pictures!! Don't test me now... Haha.

We finished the trunk or treat at about 6. The order from the mission
president was that we be in our apartments or a members house from 6-9
that night. Proselyting, especially tracting, is a bad idea on
Halloween night. You'll get candy not converts. We had asked some of
our favorite people the week before if we could come stay at their
place that night, the Lequia's. The Lequia's are the best! They are a
young married couple in our ward and our really good friends. We spent
the night playing music, laughing and eating. I got to PLAY THE
GUITAR!! I've forgotten a lot of songs already because I didn't get to
play much before my mission either, but I remembered my favorites:)
Katie Lequia plays the Banjo and gave us some great songs on that,
Nick did his hilarious hick accent and made fun of banjo's, Elder
Hatton played creepy stuff on the piano, and I jammed on the guitar:)
we also decorated cookies. It was so great!

Sunday was super good as well! The highlight of Sunday was my first
lesson on online proselyting. Online proselyting is hard because you
never know what someone is gonna think about some random dude
messaging them on Facebook haha. I was talking to a young man named
David And when I asked him if he wanted to learn more about our church
he was super receptive. We had a super cool discussion and it was
amazing to feel the spirit guiding me in this style of teaching just
like it does in face to face teaching. David is coming to church with
us this Sunday! Please pray for him!

I love you all so much, pray night and day. Read always. Never stop!

Love,
Elder Thomas

Pictures of crash. Sorry I didn't get better ones, I just thought we
might die is all... 


The beautiful drive from Sheridan to Worland




Our cool packing job... 


Their boring one...  

Trent's Baptism!

Elder Hatton and the Feminine Skeleton 

Ran into my good buddy Elder (Stockton) Rentfro! Love this kid :) 

Because Preparation Day is the best


No comments:

Post a Comment