We'll Harvest this Field from Sunrise to Sunset!

Monday, January 25, 2016

So many miracles.

Dear family and Friends,

We met with the Pratt's twice this week. They're a super busy family
and they have had a hard time keeping their commitment to read and
pray. He last two times we have gone over there we have just read the
scriptures with them so they can learn the value of reading the
scriptures. We asked how we could help them remember and what we
decided on was that we would send them a reminder message in Facebook
every morning. We hope this helps. They have been opening up to us
quite a bit and I think they're very comfortable having us over.
Kevin, who is usually very shy and quiet, was having a racket last
time we were there. Laughing with us, teasing his parents and making
jokes. He also answered the questions hon stay and simply during the
lesson. It is so amazing to see people open up as they begin to trust
you and know you better.

We have seen so many miracles in our lives this week. It's hard to
find people to teach in this area, but as we work our hardest, the
Lord helps us out. Last week we got a referral from some missionaries
in a different area. They had been talking to a member who let them
know that her sister, Mandy Taylor, wasn't feeling very well and she
needed a blessing. They gave us a call with all the information and we
contacted her as soon as we could. When we went over there on Tuesday
we had the funnest time getting to know the Taylor family. Sister
Taylor and her oldest son are both less-active members. Her two other
two boys and her husband are non-members. They were all so kind to us
and really just welcomed us into their home. We learned a lot about
their lives and personalities. It was wonderful. Sister Taylor is
having really bad back problems and all the doctors she's seen have
pretty much said that it's hopeless. During the blessing, we both just
felt this overwhelming peace. It is so amazing to not know a thing
about her back problems, but somehow we knew that she would be
alright. I got something in my eye during the blessing which made it
look like I was crying, which was a little embarrassing. The last time
we checked up with her she told us that the pain was a little bit less
and she has been able to sleep the last few nights. We will be
checking up on her today as well.

If those last two miracles weren't enough, we just received a referral
from the church. This happened because some other missionaries found
someone, began teaching her and then she moved. Before she moved they
set here on date for baptism which I believe is in February. Her name
is Shyanne and we contacted her just about as fast as I could type her
number in the phone! We get to meet with her tomorrow and I can hardly
hold in my excitement. When we read through her information, it looks
like she is incredibly sensitive to the spirit and has great faith.
She has kept her commitments, and even has been coming to church. We
love having people to teach!

We went street contacting in Red Lodge again this week! One of the
first people we ran into was a mentally handicapped man named James.
He was so kind and gave us the biggest smile. We talked to him for a
minute and laughed together. Such a great way to begin street
contacting. The next people we ran into were two really kind men
standing outside a bar. We asked them about themselves and found out
that they were both on the same ski racing team. They then began to
ask us a few questions about missionary work but as I was answering, a
very drunk man stumbled out of the bar behind us, leaned on Elder
Ross, and said in his drunken drawl, "give me a reason to believe."
Without thinking, I raised my hands above my head and said very
firmly, "because eternal salvation is worth it!" This kind of
surprised him and I don't think he liked it because he looked at me
for a second and then said, "oh no, are you guys Mormon's?" Elder Ross
proudly stated that we were. After he discovered  that, he walked over
to me and asked if I wanted a drink. He must've heard of Mormon's
before. I laughed and said that I don't even drink caffeine. Right
then, as he tried to ask another weird question, one of the skiers
grabbed him and while shoving him away from us said with a smile,
"he's really a nice guy most the time." We walked with them for a few
more steps as the drunk guy kept trying to turn around and ask us to
go bowling and other stupid things, each time being rejected by the
protective hand of the skier as he got shoved back around. We went
different ways after about twenty feet and though the two kind men
weren't ready to hear our message right then, I had a feeling they
would be eventually. We continued walking down the street looking for
people to talk to. We saw James again, standing with a group of
friends. James saw us and immediately came over to talk. We got to
talk to him a little longer, all the while getting curious looks from
the group he'd been talking to. After talking to James we walked past
the group. I realized they were criticizing Mormonism so I smiled and
said hello. Out of the corner of my eye I saw one of them make a
disgusted face and none of them responded... Awkward! The next thing
we saw was a bunch of deer just sitting in the middle of the town. We
stopped to take some pictures and a local man walked up to us and I
began talking to him. We talked to him for a very long time and
learned that wildlife just wandered around this town, even bears. He
also told us a lot about the history of this place. As we talked, I
noticed that one of the deer kept wandering closer and closer. We
asked the man if he wanted to meet with us again and he did everything
he could to stop talking to us. That's too bad. Right after the man
walked away, Elder Ross turned around and held out his hand to the
deer! It started sniffing his hand!! He then pulled up some grass and
put it in his palm and started hand feeding the deer! I also got to
hand feed one of them. It was wild. After a while the deer got bored
of us and realized there was grass on the ground as well. But not
before Elder Ross patted one on the head! It was just a crazy night.

Such an eventful week. I love missionary work! I know that this is
God's church on the earth at this time! I know that those who listen
to and act on the word of God will be blessed. I know that Christ died
for our sins and saved us from spiritual death. I know that all
thing's are possible with God.

Luke 1:37

I love you all!

Love,
Elder Thomas

P.S. We found out this week that I am not senior companion. Someone
messed up when they sent the email! Takes a huge load off my back, and
I don't have to drive in the snow anymore. :)

Front yard view 
I love this place :)


Wow look how close we are to those deer.     
WHOA. That's a lot closer.
Ok, WHAT??
The doe can smell the spirit.
Just patting a deer on the head...Happens all the time...
Street contacting at its best. 
Wow, we live in a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment