We'll Harvest this Field from Sunrise to Sunset!

Monday, January 4, 2016

Transfers...

Dear Family and Friends,

Last Monday was so cool! We finally got to go to the only attraction
in the Wyoming part of the mission, (and quite possibly the tallest
thing;) Devil's Tower! It was so much fun. I quite enjoyed finally
getting into crisp, clean, non-refinery-polluted air in a crisp,
clean, non-refinery-polluted forest. Devil's tower is huge. In some of
the pictures it's hard to tell how large the size is because of the
angled rock, but it is quite large. Tyler Wilkes, the recently
returned missionary, took us. We love Tyler. We're always trying to
get him married haha. Unfortunately, we didn't see any women in the
wilderness. Maybe next time.

The rest of the week was pretty slow. The week between Christmas and
New Years is hard, not because anyone is mean or anything, but because
they're all gone. Ashton has been out of town for most of the Holidays
and so have many other of our usual appointments. Ashton, unlike most,
actually seems sad about it:)

New Years was a blast. The Wing's invited us to dinner that night at
the nicest place in Newcastle, Isabella's. It was so much fun. They
typically do this every year with a group of their friends, and this
year they invited us too! It was so much fun to sit with people of all
different faiths, or no faith, and laugh and enjoy each others
company. Sister Wing commented on it at one point, stating that, " we
have all kinds of diversity here. What a strange group we are." There
were Mennonites, Catholics, philosophers, atheists, Methodists, and
yes, even us Mormons. And somehow, everyone there was kind and
respectful. Just a little glimpse into the peace this war torn world
could achieve. It was a lovely way to spend New Years Eve and it gave
me such hope for the future.

Wow, so transfers are happening. I am not staying in Newcastle. Wow, I
almost wanted to stay here forever. I am leaving this wonderful little
tiny random town and headed to............ MISSOULA!!! Crazy. A
college town. Yes, that is a little crazy, but wait till you hear the
next part. My companion will be.......DRUMROLL................ Elder
HATTON!! What?? I know, weird. Elder Hatton and I will be companions
once again in the mystical land of Missoula. I'm so excited! This is
going to be a huge change, and I'm a little nervous, but also very
excited. So many crazy new adventures ahead and so many crazy new
people to teach! Missoula is A LOT more north, so wish me luck and
warmth.

My heart is heavy as I consider leaving Newcastle. I have really grown
to love it here. I looked around at the people on Sunday and there was
so much I had to say to them. I wanted to thank them for loving me and
tell them that I loved them. I contemplate not getting to see Pete,
Dallas or Ashton again, or until I visit again. I feel sorrowful about
missing Ashton's baptism. I hope Brother Palmer comes to church every
week. I'll miss the apartment, our dog, having a laundry machine
downstairs... I think I'll even miss the ugly oil refinery and the
incessant train. Had you asked me a year ago, if I could see myself
loving this little town as much as I do, I would have undoubtedly said
no. Missionary work does something to you, it increases your capacity
to love. Well I love this place, I love these people, I love
missionary work and I love the Lord. Can't wait to see what comes
next!

I love you all! Keep striving to be better. NEVER GIVE UP!!
Mosiah 4:30

Love,
Elder Thomas

Our district trying to look cool. It totally worked... as you can tell. :) 



Devil's Tower!








No comments:

Post a Comment