We'll Harvest this Field from Sunrise to Sunset!

Monday, May 15, 2017

E.T. Phone Home...

Hello Peoples,

Last week we went to Glacier again!! It was AMAZING. From pictures and
stories of others I know that it will only be prettier when the rest
of the park opens up, but for now we have been enjoying the hikes we
have access to.

That night we got to go to the Boyce's for cookie night, which is
always such a relief after a crazy Preparation Day. The lesson was on
the Book of Mormon and we were pretty proud missionaries because the
whole family, including Lori, kept their commitment to pray about
Joseph Smith and also committed to read the Book of Mormon. After the
lesson we had an activity and a treat. It was one of the funniest
nights of my life!

Tuesday was pretty cool because we got to have dinner with a
less-active/part-member family. The sister who is a member hasn't come
to church very much since she was baptized. She has a testimony but
loves to pursue the deep doctrine. Her husband is non-member and has
refused to be present whenever we have taught her, but this week he
came to dinner at Hu-Hot with us on the condition that we don't talk
about church stuff, and it was the best! He is an incredibly
intelligent man and he gave us some incredibly good advice on career
and success. He even revered the church and it's missionary program
for raising successful kids. This was a huge step in his progress.
Afterward they took us out to an ice cream place called Sweet Peaks,
and it was SO GOOD. There is honestly no better ice cream in the
world.

After dinner we ran off to institute and had the most awkward
institute lesson EVER. It was us and two other YSA members and the
awkward silences were killer. However it was a good lesson and I got a
lot out of it so it was a success.

We got to teach Barb that night and we both agree that lessons with
her and her parents are some of our favorite on our mission. The
spirit is always so strong in that home. Brother and Sister Denna have
beautiful testimonies that just touch your heart.

Wednesday started off with a district meeting, which went very well
due to our amazing District Leader, Elder Emms. After District meeting
I went to Columbia falls with Elder Emms and Elder Wadsworth took my
place in Kalispell. I spent quite a bit of my time on that exchange
consoling  everyone and informing them that Elder Wadsworth hadn't
been transferred and he would be back haha. They sure love him there.
It was a wonderful exchange and we did a lot of biking, service and
teaching. On Wednesday we provided service at a thrift shop and they
gave me free new running shoes because I became friends with all the
old ladies haha. On Thursday we were on bikes the whole day, and I
mean the whole day. It was so much fun and it felt really really good.
Most missionaries don't like bikes because it messes up their hair. I
mean, how wimpy can you get?? Really. One of the highlights of the
trip was getting to sit by a lake and answer some questions that a
member had. I know God planned this exchange to happen because some of
his specific experiences were the same as experiences I had struggled
with and I was able to offer some insight that helped him out. It was
one of the more special moments of my mission.

Anyways, Friday morning I got to come back to my area, which is nice
because I hate leaving my area, but the exchange was very good for me.
We did a little weekly planning and then went tracting! There is a
little golden neighborhood in our area that is absolutely full of
prepared people, and as we tracted there on Friday a young father
answered the door and invited us right in to see the giant Hot Wheels
track he and his kids had made! He was so genuinely kind and friendly
and we were a little shocked to be invited in right away like that.
The track was very impressive, about ten feet tall and fifteen feet
long, and the kids were adorable! We were limited in time, but we did
share about the Book of Mormon a little bit and invited him to read it
and pray about it. He agreed to read it and took the Book of Mormon
gladly, inviting us back at the same time. Wow, God is so good to us.

That night we had a YSA game night, and Autumn and a less-active both
showed up! The work in the YSA branch is really progressing.

Saturday was insane because the state rugby tournament was being held
in Kalispell. Both Boyce kids, Payge and Paxton were in the rugby
tournament so we went to support them and to be seen and have the
opportunity to talk to people. It was awesome! Rugby is an incredible
sport and the Boyce kids are very talented. I always wanted to play
Rugby so it was cool to watch. Both men and women teams in Kalispell
took state! We also got to talk to a LOT of people and the exposure
was super good for us. One of my favorite moments of the day was when
some awesome members, the Duce's from Hamilton Montana gave us some
donuts and we gave the last to a bunch of random teenagers haha. I
love little things like that. The other highlight of the whole day was
seeing the Reynoso's, the Humphrey's, and the Lotts form the Corvallis
ward! I love these people, they are basically family. Especially the
Reynoso's:)

That night we had a lesson with the Karrs and I didn't really say
anything the whole time, but Elder Christensen was just teaching by
the spirit and expounding doctrine. It was awesome. I have the coolest
companion EVER.

Sunday was MOTHERS DAY!!! It was super hard to focus during our 8
hours of church meeting because I was just excited to talk to my
MOMMA! But right after dinner we ran and delivered flowers to all the
missionary moms to thank them for their sacrifice. It was one of the
more special moments of my mission, getting to see these wonderful
moms who willingly let their son go for two years on the day they got
to talk to their sons.

But after that, I got to see my OWN MOM!!! And nothing is better than
that. I can not express how nice it is to talk to people that know me
and my story, that love me despite my faults, and really, truly,
completely care about me. I love that and that's part what makes
talking to family so much fun! I love my mom, I am INCREDIBLY grateful
she brought me into this world, raised me, loved me every second of
it... I love my Mom with all my heart.

Other good news: Amanda has decided on a date for baptism! She will be
baptized on June 3 and we are SO happy for her!!

Love you all!

Love,
Elder Thomas

 

No comments:

Post a Comment